Getting good skin is not purely genetics. In fact, daily habits greatly impact the texture of your skin. There are tons of options in the market that promote protection against the sun or delay aging. However, skin care should be personalized.
When it comes to skin care, there’s no ‘one-size-fit-all’ policy. For skin care products to be effective, you have to know first your skin type, whether it fits with the ingredients of the products you have to use. Still, you have to remember that products must be applied from the thinnest to thickest. This is to assure that your skin absorbs the thinner skin care products.
Ultimately, the key to getting good and healthy skin is consistency. Here’s what you should keep in mind when building your own skin care routine.
6 Basic Steps To Build Your Own Skin Care Routine
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Cleansing your face in the morning and in the evening allows your skin to regenerate properly. After a long day of work or travel, dirt and debris have already built up on your skin. Cleaning your face will help it absorb oxygen and prevent your skin from getting fine lines. Moreover, cleansers help your skin to stay hydrated and prepare it for other skin care products. In this way, you can clear your pores and prevent breakouts.
- Find a suitable toner. According to Dr. Debra Jaliman, a board-certified dermatologist, toner removes the dirt and impurities that the cleanser was not able to remove. A few drops is enough to remove the dead skin cells if your preferred toner is exfoliating. On the other hand, if you use hydrating formulas, you can use them twice a day. Just remember not to use too much retinoid with toners as this method can damage your skin.
- Apply serum. The beauty of using serum is that its high concentration of active ingredients is most effective in defying aging. All the antioxidants and peptides work to rejuvinate your skin. This is why it is called the workhorse of skincare products. Some people forget that the eyes need some care also since it can be totally susceptible to lines and wrinkles. Other than the facial serum you can apply, you can opt to use under eye serum to reduce dark circles and puffiness. You will be doing yourself a favor because constant care for the delicate skin around the eyes can prevent it from becoming looser and thinner.
- Use skin lightener for spot correction. Skin lightener is proven to help face discolorations and scars. Dark spots are present due to hyperpigmentation. To reduce their appearance, you can use a skin lightener. This product will remove age spots, freckles, sun damage, and scars. At the same time, it can stop the harmful effect of light and cell oxidation which cause the formation of dark spots. With constant use, your skin will have its own defense against the damaging effect of the UV rays
- Pick a good moisturizer. Everyone needs moisture on their skin regardless of skin type. Picking a good moisturizer will lock in all the products you have applied on your skin. Moisturizer is essential in hydration and softening of the skin. Dr. Carlos Charles, a NY-based dermatologist highlights that moisturizers prevent water loss in the skin. Therefore, application of moisturizer ensures that you will have a hydrated and soft skin everyday.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. This may be the last step but this is the most important. Sunscreen does not only protect you from aging, but it helps you from catching skin cancer. Sun protection is an essential part of a skin care regimen because without it, your skin care routine will not be effective at all. Wearing sunscreen with a broad spectrum and SPF 50+ blocks out most of the harmful rays from damaging your skin. Don’t forget to reapply them!